Skip to main content

Sony FX3 vs A7 III in 2026: Why I Use One for Video and One for Photos

Sony FX3 cinema cameraSony A7 III full-frame camera

FX3 photo: Henry Söderlund, CC BY 2.0. A7 III photo: Amitabha Gupta, CC BY 4.0. Sources: Wikimedia Commons.

My Quick Decision

  • Planned video shoot: FX3.
  • Photo walk or still assignment: A7 III.
  • Reason to keep both: each body stays configured for its primary job.

Owning two full-frame Sony cameras does not mean I use them interchangeably. In my kit, the division is simple: the Sony FX3 is the camera I prepare for video, while the Sony A7 III is the camera I reach for when I want to make photographs.

This is not a laboratory comparison, and I am not trying to declare a universal winner. The cameras come from different generations and were built around different priorities. What matters to me is that each body has a clear role.

Why the FX3 Handles Video

The FX3 is designed around motion production. Its large record button, threaded mounting points, active cooling, full-size HDMI connection, headphone output, and dual CFexpress Type A/SD card slots make it easier to keep configured as a working video camera. The supplied XLR handle also supports a more practical professional-audio setup.

Sony lists 4K recording at frame rates up to 120p in supported formats, along with 10-bit recording options. Those specifications matter, but the larger benefit is workflow: the camera can remain built for video instead of being converted back and forth between still and motion setups.

Why the A7 III Still Handles Photography

The A7 III remains useful because a good camera does not stop producing good photographs when a newer model appears. It has a 24.2-megapixel full-frame sensor, an electronic viewfinder, RAW capture, a mechanical shutter, and controls that feel natural when I am concentrating on single frames.

The FX3 can take photographs, but Sony lists its effective still-image resolution at approximately 12.1 megapixels and it has no electronic viewfinder. For my use, those differences are enough to keep the A7 III as the dedicated photo body.

One Lens System Makes Two Bodies Easier

Both cameras use Sony E-mount lenses and NP-FZ100-series batteries. That shared system makes the two-body arrangement much easier than maintaining two unrelated camera brands. My Sony FE 24–105mm F4 G OSS can move between the bodies when needed, covering a practical range from wide compositions to tighter details.

The constant F4 aperture is predictable, but it is not especially fast in dark environments. For low-light work I may need more ISO, additional lighting, a slower shutter for static photographs, or a faster lens.

The Disadvantages of Keeping Two Cameras

Two bodies require more maintenance. Settings, firmware, batteries, media, sensor cleaning, and transport all need attention. This setup is not automatically the best answer for everyone.

A newer hybrid camera may make more sense for someone who wants one lightweight body for both photos and video. My system works because I already own both cameras and do not ask them to perform the same job.

Final Take

If I were preparing for a video assignment tomorrow, I would build the FX3 kit. If I were going on a photo walk, I would take the A7 III. That simple choice explains why both cameras remain useful in my bag.

Affiliate disclosure: This article contains Amazon affiliate links. If you make a qualifying purchase, I may earn a commission at no additional cost to you. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Sources: Sony FX3 specifications and Sony A7 III specifications.

Package note: FX3 body-only and XLR-handle kit listings can differ, so check the exact package before buying. For card requirements, see my Sony FX3 memory-card guide.

Popular posts from this blog

Sony FX3 Memory Cards: When V30 SD Works and When You Need CFexpress Type A

Photo: Henry Söderlund, Wikimedia Commons , CC BY 2.0. Choosing a memory card for the Sony FX3 is more complicated than buying the fastest card you can find. The camera accepts both SD cards and CFexpress Type A cards in either slot, but the card required changes with the recording format, bitrate, frame rate, and whether proxy recording is enabled. My current kit includes an Angelbird AV PRO CFexpress Type A 1TB card, SanDisk Extreme 512GB V30 cards, and SanDisk Extreme PRO V30 cards in 256GB and 64GB capacities. They do not all serve the same purpose. Here is the simple way I separate their roles. The Short Answer V30 SD cards: useful for supported lower-bitrate recording, including certain modes at 200 Mbps or below. V60 SD cards: the practical minimum for many XAVC HS 4K and XAVC S 4K settings above that range, up to 280 Mbps according to Sony's compatibility table. V90 SD cards: required for XAVC S-I 4K and XAVC S-I HD recording when using SD media, as well as some high...

How to reset LG stylo 2 Plus

1. Turn off the device. 2. Press and hold the Power and Volume down buttons. 3.  When the LG logo apears, quickly release and then re-hold the Power button while continuing to hold the Volume down button.. 4. When 'Factory data reset' appear, u se the Volume key to highlight 'Yes'   then press Power button to select. 5. When 'Erase all user data and restore default setting' appear,  use the Volume key to highlight 'Yes', then press Power button to select.

How to reset ZTE Avid Plus

1. Turn off the device. 2. First, press and hold just the Power button for 1-2 seconds, then quickly press and hold the Volume Up button. 3. Continue to hold both buttons until the Select Boot mode screen displays. 4. Press Volume Up to cycle through the options and point to Recovery Mode. 5. Press Volume Down to select. 6. An android laying down with a yellow triangle will appear. 7. Press and release the Volume Up and Power keys at the same time. 8. Android system recovery will appear. 9. Press Volume Down to highlight wipe data/factory reset. 10. Press the Power key to select. 11. Press Volume Down to highlight Yes -- delete all user data is highlighted. 12. Press the Power key to select. 13. Select reboot system now to restart the phone.